Re: upgrading to 9.2

  [upgrade]

Also, I'm assuming you have a bunch of packages from pkgsrc installed to
do various things, as base is rarely sufficient.

Binary compat is very good in NetBSD, so updating kernel, reboot,
updating userland, reboot, will leave you in a state where:
  - system is at 9
  - packages are all built for 8

and this is ok, because the packages are all linked with libs in NetBSD
8.  However, there are new shlib major versions of some.  So if you
rebuild some but not all it will be a mess with two versions of various
libs loaded from a packaget that was rebuilt and a dependency lib that
was not rebuilt.  But until you upgrade any, they should work fine.

The path to upgrading is to find out the necessary packages ('pkgin sk',
if you are up to date with that, and if not, perhaps install it and do
pkgin keep and pking uk, pkgin -n ar, and pkgin sk until you are ok),
and to either build them elsewhere or use TNF-built ones and "pkgin
fug". Perhaps you need to remove and then add; I think fug will change
out packages with the same version but mismatching n8/n9.