Re: upgrading to 9.2

Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> writes:

>> I have a mix of amd64 machines runnong 7.0 and 8.0_RC1 that I plan to
>> move to 9.2.  [...]
>
>> What do people think the best way forward would be for me?
>
> I'd first ask, are you sure you need to switch versions?  While there
> are plenty of perfectly good reasons to want to, if they're not broken,
> there may be no reason to fix them.
>
> It's not suitable for every use case - far from it! - but that is what
> I've done for over two decades with my boxen; I'm running, depending on
> the hardware and the task, NetBSD derived from 1.4T, 4.0.1, or 5.2
> (though admittedly the 1.4T ones are off-topic for this list).

I have some sympathy for this viewpoint, but

  1) older versions don't get security support

  2) I run things from pkgsrc, and building recent pkgsrc on old systems
  goes badly.  9 is better than 8, and 5 is downright troublesome these
  days.

so in order to have all the above-os software  have security  and bug
fixes, I find the OS needs updating.

> If you do want to switch, I'd say the best thing to do would be to
> clone the remote setups to a non-remote machine (presumably with a few
> changes such as drastically shrinking the RAIDframe filesystems) and do
> the switch locally, repeatedly if necessary, taking notes as you go,
> until you have a script for each remote machine that's known to work.
> It's not perfect - it's entirely possible to get tripped up by a
> difference you didn't realize existed between the local and remote
> machines - but it does reduce the chances that you'll break something
> during the switch.

That's good advice.