Re: upgrading to 9.2

> I have a mix of amd64 machines runnong 7.0 and 8.0_RC1 that I plan to
> move to 9.2.  [...]

> What do people think the best way forward would be for me?

I'd first ask, are you sure you need to switch versions?  While there
are plenty of perfectly good reasons to want to, if they're not broken,
there may be no reason to fix them.

It's not suitable for every use case - far from it! - but that is what
I've done for over two decades with my boxen; I'm running, depending on
the hardware and the task, NetBSD derived from 1.4T, 4.0.1, or 5.2
(though admittedly the 1.4T ones are off-topic for this list).

If you do want to switch, I'd say the best thing to do would be to
clone the remote setups to a non-remote machine (presumably with a few
changes such as drastically shrinking the RAIDframe filesystems) and do
the switch locally, repeatedly if necessary, taking notes as you go,
until you have a script for each remote machine that's known to work.
It's not perfect - it's entirely possible to get tripped up by a
difference you didn't realize existed between the local and remote
machines - but it does reduce the chances that you'll break something
during the switch.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign