Re: 8.0 booter: chain-boot sd0 if present?

On Wed 29 Apr 2020 at 14:24:17 -0400, Mouse wrote:
> It occurred to me that in principle it should be possible to work
> around this in the booter, that the booter on the internal SSD could
> check for the thumbdrive and, if found, chain-boot it.  But I don't
> know how easy that would be to do with the 8.0 booter.
>
> Thoughts?  Alternatives?

Alternatively, you can shift this check to userland.
In one of the rc files, check for the thumbdrive, and if present, chroot
into it and do the update. Maybe using the init.root sysctl node (see
init(8)).  I don't see a way for this method to use a different kernel
from the thumbdrive, though.

> /~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
-Olaf.
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- rhialto at falu dot nl
___  Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on