Re: how do I disable IPv6?

acruhl%gmail.com@localhost (Andy Ruhl) writes:

>Isn't the detection of a duplicate link local address a bug? I'm
>trying to think of a reason why it would ever do that normally.

It's an artifact of WiFi.

DAD is done by broadcasting a test packet to the tentative address. If there
is a response from someone else, the address is already taken. On ethernet
you may receive your own test packet, but you can filter it out by looking
at the sender address.

On WiFi however (in the regular STA mode), the packet is replicated by the
access point and unicasted to every known member of the network. Just by
looking at the frames you cannot identify if that packet is actually yours.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost