Re: how do I disable IPv6?

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 2:09 PM, Robert Elz <kre%munnari.oz.au@localhost> wrote:
> Huh?   I'm using a wifi interface, and DAD happens, and "works"
> (at least it fails to discover any duplicates, which should be correct
> as there should be none, but until it does find a legitimate one, I
> cannot really be sure it is working).

There is DAD which shouldn't happen (but humans can cause it quite
easily which should be easy to test), and then there is DAD for a link
local address which *really* shouldn't happen. Although I've heard
stories of duplicate MAC addresses from unscrupulous vendors before.

If DAD for the link local address works for one adapter and not
another, hopefully that would ring some bells for someone familiar
with that code. If not, get debug info.

(I'm just a network guy, not a developer unfortunately.)

> I agree with Joerg, telling people to turn off DAD, especially when what
> they asked was to disable IPv6, is very poor advice.

With respect, this isn't the only bug that causes annoying messages.
If the original email author looked for and/or opened a bug, this
should be sufficient to move on to a workaround. Maybe that's better
advice going forward...

Andy