Re: which file system, FFSv1 or FFSv2?

On 12 February 2017 at 00:36, Henry <nbsd4ever%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> When doing a new install of 7.0.2 you're asked to choose what file
> system to use.
> It's the first time for me to see "FFSv1" and "FFSv2."  What are the advantages/
> disadvantages of one over the other?  Is there a "recommendation" for the amd64
> port?  TIA.

From 'man newfs':

     -O filesystem-format
                 Select the filesystem-format.
                       0    4.3BSD; This option is primarily used to build
                            root file systems that can be understood by older
                            boot ROMs.  This generates an FFSv1 file system
                            with level 1 format.
                       1    FFSv1; normal Fast File System, level 4 format.
                            Also known as `FFS', `UFS', or `UFS1'.  This is
                            the default.
                       2    FFSv2; enhanced Fast File System, suited for more
                            than 1 Terabyte capacity.  This is also known as
                            `UFS2'.

HTH,

Ian