amd64 on MacBook Pro 5,5 (mid 2009)?

I was hoping to install NetBSD on a 7+-year-old MacBook Pro (details
below), but after reading the following, I'm not so sure.
"Known to work ... Core2Duo processor (it still crashes, but the amd64 much
less often than the i386 port)" in _How to install NetBSD on an Apple Macbook
with Core 2 Duo_.
https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_install_netbsd_on_an_apple_macbook_with
_core2duo/
However the article seems to be somewhat outdated, so I have two
questions:
1) Is amd64, not i386, the best port for this machine?
2) Is the latest version (7.0.2) of NetBSD stable on this hardware?
Details on machine:
13-inch, Mid 2009, MacBookPro5,5
processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (2.53 GHz)
number of processors: 1; number of cores: 2; secondary cache: 3 MB
memory 4 GB, 1067 MHz DDR3; bus speed: 1.07 GHz

Thanks so much.

Henry Nelson