Issues with Firefox and sound control

Hello,

I have an almost entirely usable desktop installation of Netbds 6.1.2
on my Thinkpad X61 (64 bit - 2G RAM).

I have installed both Firefox24 and Firefox17. I haven't installed the
Flash plugin yet as I wanted to investigate what I can get without
Flash.

Sound is working ok on the command line, but with the latest Firefox
(Nightly 24) I have no sound at all. With Firefox17 I do have sound,
however the built-in volume controls don't work and the hardware
volume switches are a bit erratic (they work fine on the command
line).

Output from firefox  (both 17 and 24)

bash-4.2$ firefox17

(firefox:290): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon
'gtk-go-back-ltr'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
        http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

(firefox:290): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into
`/home/oc/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to
create file '/home/oc/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.J4LU6W': No such
file or directory

(firefox:290): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of
`/home/oc/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file
or directory

output from startx :

/usr/pkg/bin/bash: amixer: command not found
/usr/pkg/bin/bash: amixer: command not found
/usr/pkg/bin/bash: amixer: command not found

So I though the problem was with alsa. After installing alsa-utils I get:

mixer attach default error, no such file or directory.

Running amixer as root gives the same error.
It looks like alsamixer cannot find a mixer device.

What should I do: wait until the sound issue is resolved on the latest
FF or fix the problem with alsa?

Has anybody got the same problem?

And incidentally, can anybody recommend me a good and lightweight X11
based mixer?

Thanks

--
Ottavio