how to get serial console (HP ML110 G6)

Following our man pages I can't get serial console working on a HP ML110
G6.

I've installed bootstrap with serial console support and that works
through the com0 exposed by the LO100i.  However, I can't convince the
GENERIC kernel to use com0/tty00 as console.  It selects the vga as
console.

boot.cfg contains:
menu=Boot serial console:consdev=com0;rndseed /var/db/entropy-file;boot
netbsd

and I boot using that.

Anyone know what it takes?

This is quite annoying because of the PS/2 -> USB translation that the
mainboard does which makes ddb unusable from the PC keyboard.  And I'd
like to capture the output via serial console anyway.

--chris