Re: watchdog?

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Manuel Bouyer
<bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:41:24AM +0900, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
>> [...]
>> I also saw docs mentioning that some Intel chipsets have WDT.  But
>> info is very limited.  Not sure if it's real.
>
> They do; some of them even have several:
> Available watchdog timers:
>         ipmi0, 0 second period
>         ichlpcib0, 367 second period
>
> ichlpcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0: Intel 63xxESB LPC Interface Bridge (rev.
> 0x09)
> timecounter: Timecounter "ichlpcib0" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
> ichlpcib0: 24-bit timer
> ichlpcib0: TCO (watchdog) timer configured.
> ipmi0 at mainbus0
> ipmi0: version 2.0 interface KCS iobase 0xca2/2 spacing 1
>

> Available watchdog timers:
>         ichlpcib0, 38 second period [armed, user tickle, pid 11]
> timecounter: Timecounter "ichlpcib0" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000
> ichlpcib0: 24-bit timer
> ichlpcib0: TCO (watchdog) timer configured.
>

> Basically, all hardware I have which has a IPMI BMC includes a ipmi watchdog;
> and most intel P4 or newer desktop or server I have includes a ichlpcib
> watchdog.

Nice.  This would be one of the reasons real H/W machines are better
than VMs; hardware reset effectively resets H/W.

Unfortunately, my customer runs VMware, which have no H/W watchdog
emulation.  (It has heartbeat as a host-guest IPC (used via vmware
tools), but I can't use it for administrative reasons...)