Port-amd64 archive

Re: -current amd64 does not boot on huge machine (80 cores, RAM 1TB)

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 11:36:38PM +0200, Zafer Aydo?an wrote:
> 2011/10/3 Nicolas Joly <njoly%pasteur.fr@localhost>:
> > We just got, at work, a new toy ... This is a Supermicro SuperServer
> > 5086B-TRF[1] machine, with 80 cores and RAM 1TB. Unfortunately, i
> > cannot boot -current amd64 on it.
> Very nice Rack with 8 * 10 cores !
> I'm not sure, but I think NetBSD can't boot > 32 cpu's at the moment.

Yep, that's right. Now that we have machines with more than that,
priority fixing it will increase in the future ;)

> I heard rumours about a patch flying around, that will boot 255 cpu's.
> Anyway. It would be nice to get this thing running!

I finally got it to boot ... but with both SMP :( and ACPI disabled
(and coretemp via userconf which paniced the machine) on a non
DIAGNOSTIC kernel (dmesg attached). Once done, we are missing the
3Ware 9750 Series RAID controller to have some disk to install on.

Nicolas Joly

Projects and Developments in Bioinformatics
Institut Pasteur, Paris.