Re: -current amd64 does not boot on huge machine (80 cores, RAM 1TB)

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 11:36:38PM +0200, Zafer Aydo?an wrote:
> 2011/10/3 Nicolas Joly <njoly%pasteur.fr@localhost>:
[...]
> > We just got, at work, a new toy ... This is a Supermicro SuperServer
> > 5086B-TRF[1] machine, with 80 cores and RAM 1TB. Unfortunately, i
> > cannot boot -current amd64 on it.
[...]
> Very nice Rack with 8 * 10 cores !
> I'm not sure, but I think NetBSD can't boot > 32 cpu's at the moment.

Yep, that's right. Now that we have machines with more than that,
priority fixing it will increase in the future ;)

> I heard rumours about a patch flying around, that will boot 255 cpu's.
> Anyway. It would be nice to get this thing running!

I finally got it to boot ... but with both SMP :( and ACPI disabled
(and coretemp via userconf which paniced the machine) on a non
DIAGNOSTIC kernel (dmesg attached). Once done, we are missing the
3Ware 9750 Series RAID controller to have some disk to install on.

--
Nicolas Joly

Projects and Developments in Bioinformatics
Institut Pasteur, Paris.