Re: -current amd64 does not boot on huge machine (80 cores, RAM 1TB)

2011/10/3 Nicolas Joly <njoly%pasteur.fr@localhost>:

> Hi,
>
> We just got, at work, a new toy ... This is a Supermicro SuperServer
> 5086B-TRF[1] machine, with 80 cores and RAM 1TB. Unfortunately, i
> cannot boot -current amd64 on it.
>
> Using a non DIAGNOSTIC kernel does not help, except that
> i82489_icr_wait does not fire anymore as expected.
>
> Normal boot hang when probing cpu0, SMP disabled boot fails with
> KASSERT and ACPI disabled boot hang when probing cpu1.
>
> Attached corresponding dmesg buffers.
>
> Any idea where to look for ?
> Thanks.
>
> [1] http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/5U/5086/SYS-5086B-TRF.cfm
>
> --
> Nicolas Joly
>
> Projects and Developments in Bioinformatics
> Institut Pasteur, Paris.

Hi Nicolas,

Very nice Rack with 8 * 10 cores !
I'm not sure, but I think NetBSD can't boot > 32 cpu's at the moment.
I heard rumours about a patch flying around, that will boot 255 cpu's.
Anyway. It would be nice to get this thing running!

Zafer.