Re: cpuflags (optimal compiler flags for building)

David> So the brand string should be unique for all Intel
David> CPUs, even Celerons?

The brand string was introduced first with some variant of Pentium-III
if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if it is guaranteed to be
unique, but I googled around a bit when that last thread was active
and the most authoritative I was able to find from intel about CPU
identification was the url inside this message:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-amd64/2008/11/25/msg000617.html

David> Does anyone have a reference to a full list of brand
David> strings and their CPU architectures?

This I was unable to find. What I found was a lot of linux people
complaining that intel did not release such a list... ;-/

Best regards,

        -- Urban