Re: cpuctl on Quad Core Xeon?

>>>>> Joerg Sonnenberger writes:

Joerg> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 06:59:16PM +0100, Urban Boquist wrote:
>> Intel is not calling this cpu a Pentium III, right? So why should
>> cpuctl do so?

Joerg> Intel is reusing the family/model ID of the Pentium III. That's
Joerg> why cpuctl tells you what it does.

Yes, I understand. What I mean is that cpuctl could be aware of this
and try to be more clever. Saying it is a Pentium III here is just
plain wrong.

>> cpu0: "Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3360 @ 2.83GHz"

Joerg> That's a literal string encoding in a bunch of registers.

Do you think it would be a bad idea to add some more heuristics to
cpuctl, maybe even string parsing, to get it to guess the cpu better?

This does not really matter to me but it feels a bit unfortunate that
a beginner who installs NetBSD-5 on his shiny new Xeon box will get it
identified as a Pentium-III. Not a very good first impression. ;-)

Best regards,

        -- Urban