Re: Please read if you use x86 -current

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Havard Eidnes wrote:

> As I said earlier, I'm not opposed to modifying build.sh to have
> a "modules" keyword added, but that would typically only cover
> the "cd src/sys/modules; make" part of the above.

I think building the kernel should imply the modules too. A separate
"modules" keyword is fine to to just build modules and not kernel, but
then maybe a keyword to just build kernel and modules would/could be
useful too.

>  Should one have a separate "install-modules" keyword?

That reminds me that my uncommitted build.sh has a installkernel=conf to
"Install kernel built by kernel=conf to DESTDIR" which does a
make install in the kernelbuildpath. Yes, a keyword for installing the
modules would be fine too, but maybe the install of kernel should imply
the modules too.

(More FreeBSD examples: "buildkernel" make target also rebuilds kernel
modules. "installkernel" moves running kernel directory to kernel.old and
also installs the kernel modules. "reinstallkernel" target installs kernel
modules without saving originals. I already mentioned NO_MODULES in
earlier email.)