Re: Is amd64 ready for the desktop?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:01:14 +0000
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> wrote:
> > First of all, the NetBSD system itself seems to be extremely stable.
> > As a server system I suspect it is just fine.  All of my problems seem
> > to be with add-on packages and only a handful at that.  Unfortunately
> > those few packages are the ones that I need on the desktop.
> >
> I'm running amd64 on my laptop.  I agree with your assessment -- the OS
> is very solid, but some apps are problematic.

In fact, I do have one problem which does seem to be system related.
Every once in a while the system just freezes solid.  I can't even get
the num lock or caps lock lights to change.  All I can do is reboot.
Since it is not an actual panic I don't even get a core file to
investigate.  I don't know if it is amd64 specific though as I have
recently started serving home directories to my wife's computer so it
may be related to NFS.  However, I switched to amd64 around the same
time so it is hard to tell.

I will be switching back to i386 anyway due to all the apps problems so
I will soon know if it is a general problem or amd64 specific.  Beyond
that I don't seem to be in a position to debug much else unless someone
has a suggestion.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/