Re: NetBSD/amd64 in QEMU/KVM

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:35:04PM +0100, Christoph Egger wrote:
> IWAMOTO Toshihiro wrote:
> >At Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:31:44 +0100,
> >Joerg Roedel wrote:
> >>recently I tried to install NetBSD/amd64 in a QEMU/KVM virtual machine.
> >>This failed with an early kernel panic because the install kernel was
> >>not able to find the emulated graphics adapter. I also tried NetBSD/i386
> >>and it worked fine in this environment. It turned out that adding the
> >>line
> >>
> >>vga0            at isa?
> >>
> >>to the kernel configuration of the install and generic kernel fixed that
> >>problem. The resulting install-iso booted fine to the installer. Maybe
> >>this option should be enabled per default in the amd64 configuration.
> >Alternatively, you can pass -no-acpi option to qemu, which worked for
> >me.  I haven't had time to investigate the problem (maybe ACPI
> >related?), though.
>
> No, QEMU and QEMU/KVM are different things. KVM uses QEMU code
> to emulate hw devices (disk, network) for the guests. Things like ACPI and
> virtual
> CPUs are emulated in KVM.

No, ACPI is handled using QEMU in KVM. The QEMU version of KVM is more
advanced as a plain QEMU when it comes to ACPI. So the KVM version can
handle device and cpu hotplug with ACPI and such things. I will try to
boot NetBSD/amd64 with KVM with ACPI disabled, maybe that will work. But
this is not OK, either there is a bug in KVMs or in NetBSDs ACPI
implementation. We have to find out...

Joerg

--
           |           AMD Saxony Limited Liability Company & Co. KG
 Operating |         Wilschdorfer Landstr. 101, 01109 Dresden, Germany
 System    |                  Register Court Dresden: HRA 4896
 Research  |              General Partner authorized to represent:
 Center    |             AMD Saxony LLC (Wilmington, Delaware, US)