Re: NetBSD/amd64 in QEMU/KVM

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 00:37:21 Christoph Egger wrote:
> Joerg Roedel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > recently I tried to install NetBSD/amd64 in a QEMU/KVM virtual machine.
> > This failed with an early kernel panic because the install kernel was
> > not able to find the emulated graphics adapter. I also tried NetBSD/i386
> > and it worked fine in this environment. It turned out that adding the
> > line
> >
> > vga0            at isa?
> >
> > to the kernel configuration of the install and generic kernel fixed that
> > problem. The resulting install-iso booted fine to the installer. Maybe
> > this option should be enabled per default in the amd64 configuration.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Joerg
>
> A good question here is, why does NetBSD not find the PCI VGA card.
> Does QEMU/KVM provide a PCI VGA card ?

Xen also uses QEMU for hw devices.
There I can boot NetBSD/amd64 as HVM guest and

dmesg | grep vga

prints this:

vga0 at pci0 dev2 function 0: Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446 (rev. 0x00)
wsdisplay0 at vga0 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0

So it is very likely that QEMU/KVM provides a PCI VGA card.
There must be a bug before or during PCI bus scanning in order to
make a PCI attachment fail.

Christoph