Re: Is amd64 ready for the desktop?

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

My experience is no but before I switch back to i386 I thought I would
see what others' experiences are.

I run amd64 on a laptop and a dual core desktop machine, and I have
had very good experience with both. It is true that there are some
app related annoyances (xfce4-panel is crash prone if rearranged), but
mostly I've managed to ignore them.

The laptop is a sort of media center machine, and I use it to watch
video, play music, surf the web, read email and chat on skype, and
as such there have been no problems. Video output to TV using xrandr
is perfect (I was surprised). And the laptop even suspends and resumes
without glitches -- kudos again for PMF people. I haven't tried DRM
support for real, because it won't work anyway with my LVDS+TV setup
(driver reports screen too large to support DRI).

Then again, all that would work on i386 as well.