Port-alpha archive

Re: installboot killing disklabel?

I've tried and retried installboot / disklabel many times. Even if I netboot my Alpha system and use native tools to first disklabel, then installboot, I end up with a system that boots the kernel, then can't find the root filesystem.

Separately, to complicate things, I went through several iterations where the default kernel couldn't read the disk (which is a Samsung SSD on a SATA-IDE adapter on the IDE bus) with DMA enabled. I retested everything from scratch with a kernel configured with "flags 0x0002" for aceride:

aceride0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: Acer Labs M5229 UDMA IDE Controller (rev. 0xc2)
aceride0: bus-master DMA support present, but unused (forced off by config file)

The kernel with no IDE DMA consistently gives the correct disklabel when installboot is not used, and consistently can't find the disklabel when installboot is used. If I reinstall the disklabel, the filesystems can be seen, but the disk is then no longer bootable.

To be clear, this is all netbsd-8 compiled from sources from the last week.

For now, I'll just netboot the kernel. Perhaps in the future I'll boot the kernel from an IDE - CF card adapter, and have to root filesystem on the SSD.

At least I can get started with a bulk package build ;)

Thanks,
John