Port-alpha archive

Re: No boot on AlphaServer DS25

Netbooting didn't work, nor did removing the VGA card and using a serial console. I do get more information on the serial console, though.

OpenBSD 5.8 showed some information which may indicate the problem:
http://www.ziaspace.com/~john/openbsd_alpha.jpg

(yes, that's an Amiga on a television - it's amazing how hard it is to find a proper serial port sometimes...)

It seems that the load address isn't correct. Since the picture isn't great, it says:

SRM console and kernel image would overlap.
Please report this to <alpha%openbsd.org@localhost>, with the following values:
SRM range: 0xfffffc0000000000-0xfffffc000071c000
kernel range: 0xfffffc0000580000-0xfffffc0000cdeda8

Figuring newer firmware needs more space for SRM, I updated stand/Makefile.bootprogs:

STANDPROG_LOAD_ADDRESS= 0xfffffc0000300000
STANDPROG_LOAD_ADDRESS= 0xfffffc0000800000

This thread from the Debian folks says this, too:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/08/msg00352.html

And rebooted using the new netboot file. However, this didn't work. I saw mention of the "Alpha AXP Architecture Reference Manual" which may explain what needs to be done, but I do not have that.

What else might need to be changed to increase the space for the larger SRM?

Thanks,
John