Port-alpha archive

Re: writing cdhdtape to CD

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Ray Phillips wrote:

(boot dkc400.4.0.11.0 -flags a)
block 0 of dkc400.4.0.11.0 is a valid boot block
reading 82 blocks from dkc400.4.0.11.0
bootstrap code read in
base = 1d8000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = a400
initializing HWRPB at 2000
initializing page table at 1ca000
initializing machine state
setting affinity to the primary CPU
jumping to bootstrap code

NetBSD/alpha 5.0 ustar Bootstrap, Revision 1.3
(builds%b4.netbsd.org@localhost, Sun Apr 26 05:45:58 UTC 2009)

VMS PAL rev: 0x1000000010114
OSF PAL rev: 0x1000000020116
Switch to OSF PAL code succeeded.

Boot flags: a
9784992@@@@@@@@@read text: Input/output error

This would appear that it started reading the kernel, and I believe the '@' symbols indicate errors while reading the media.

@@@@@@@@@open netbsd.gz: Input/output error
@@@@@@@@@open netbsd.bak: Input/output error
@@@@@@@@@open netbsd.bak.gz: Input/output error
@@@@@@@@@open netbsd.old: Input/output error
@@@@@@@@@open netbsd.old.gz: Input/output error
@@@@@@@@@open onetbsd: Input/output error
@@@@@@@@@open onetbsd.gz: Input/output error
@@@@@@@@@open netbsd.alpha: Input/output error
@@@@@@@@@open netbsd.alpha.gz: Input/output error

After getting errors reading the kernel, the boot program falls back to a list of other potential kernels, and gets errors reading them.

I wonder if there's something wrong with the way I'm burning the cdhdtape file to the CD?

Have you tried using the alphacd.iso instead? I don't think I've ever tried using the cdhdtape image since the iso images were being generated.

Another thing I found (quite some time ago) was that burning the CD images at single speed worked better in the various DEC machines I have. This may only be applicable when using the original CD drives in the DEC systems.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant