Port-alpha archive

RE: Configuring Serial Printer - DEC 3000 Model 700 / NetBSD V4.0

---- Steve Davidson <jeep%scshome.net@localhost> wrote:

> When I do a "dmesg" I see no serial ports.  Could this be what you are
> running into?

Another aspect of this machine I don't understand.  The two "ordinary" serial
ports appear in the boot dialog as zstty0 (nominally the "modem" port according
to the hardware documentation) and zstty2 (nominally the "printer" port
according to DEC.)

There are additional serial ports with non-standard wiring that were intended
for use with the DEC keyboard and mouse.  This machine has no display hardware,
so I'm using the "alternate" console port (zstty2).

For purposes of the ttys file, these ports are somehow redefined as ttyB0
("modem port") and ttyB1 ("printer" port.)

Both work (for terminals, at least) when referred to as ttyB0 and ttyB1.  Using
zstty0 and zstty2 gets me nowhere in the ttys file.

$ dmesg | grep zstty*
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 1
zstty2 at zsc1 channel 1 (console i/o)
$