Subject: Re: DEC 3000/500
To: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/11/1999 16:18:19
On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 07:16:30PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> Please find below an email I sent to Ross in the context of
> bug "port-alpha/8650". I have not yet tried the 3000/500 but on the
> 3000/400 it sure works.

:)  See the port-alpha archives starting on May 18th, 1999 for the
subject "netbooting 3000/400."

> The trick is in using the :vm=rfc1048. If this is omitted the boot will
> not work at all. SRM 7.0 is the latest SRM for the DEC3000 series BTW.
[SNIP]
> What also does not work is the isc-dhcpd. This will do bootp along with
> dhcpd (as it's name suggest) but it does not seem to be able to satisfy
> the DEC3000 bootp protocol.

dhcpd works just fine.  See
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/1999/05/19/0008.html
for details.

I sent off an email back in August with a summary of the problem and the
fix(es) to {cjs,abs}@netbsd.org, but the alpha netbooting FAQ page
_still_ hasn't been updated.  I'll resend that message to the gnats
database...  (maybe one of you -core types (Jason?  Chris?) can make
sure the information actually gets up on the proper web page...)

--
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
   "I really admire your perverse mastery of the SPARC branch delay slot,