Re: wip/dcc: pkglint output

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 11:09:58AM +0100, Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
> I just did a `pkglint -Wall' on wip/dcc and do not fully understand some
> of the warnings. Here is an initial attempt:

pkglint --explain helps...

>       > # pwd
>       > /usr/pkgsrc/wip/dcc
>       > BUILD
>       > # pkglint -Wall
>       > WARN: Makefile:23: License file ${FILESDIR}/dcc-free-license does not
> exist.
>       > WARN: Makefile:24: LICENSE_FILE is defined but not used. Spelling
> mistake?
>
> I guess the second warning is based on the first one. But the that first
> warning is incorrect. The mentioned file exists.

Probably FILESDIR is not expanded (correctly?) in the check.

>       > WARN: Makefile:27: Please include "../../mk/bsd.prefs.mk" before
> using "?=".
>       > WARN: Makefile:28: Please include "../../mk/bsd.prefs.mk" before
> using "?=".
>       > WARN: Makefile:29: Please include "../../mk/bsd.prefs.mk" before
> using "?=".
>       > WARN: Makefile:30: Please include "../../mk/bsd.prefs.mk" before
> using "?=".
>
> What is bsd.prefs.mk? All the stuff set in mk.conf?

Yes.

>       > WARN: Makefile:29: The user-defined variable VARBASE is used but not
> added to BUILD_DEFS.
>       > WARN: Makefile:30: The user-defined variable VARBASE is used but not
> added to BUILD_DEFS.
>
> What is BUILD_DEFS and do I really need it? Also: Why is VARBASE
> `user-defined'?

BUILD_DEFS are the variables that are exported to the binary
package. You should add VARBASE to it so that the value of VARBASE
during building can be checked in the binary package.

VARBASE can be set in /etc/mk.conf and thus differ between the build
host and the install host.

>       > WARN: Makefile:150: The shell command "${SED}" should not be used in
> the install phase.
>
> I use `${SED}' in INSTALL. Why shouldn't I use it?

WARN: Makefile:150: The shell command "${SED}" should not be used in
the install phase.

        In the install phase, the only thing that should be done is to
        install
        the prepared files to their final location. The file's
        contents should
        not be changed anymore.

>       > WARN: options.mk:4: Unknown option "dccm".
>
> options.mk:4:PKG_SUPPORTED_OPTIONS=   dccm
>
> What's wrong with that?

WARN: options.mk:4: Unknown option "dccm".

        This option is not documented in the
        mk/defaults/options.description
        file. If this is not a typo, please think of a brief but
        precise
        description and either update that file yourself or ask on the
        tech-pkg%NetBSD.org@localhost mailing list.

>       > WARN: options.mk:9: Permission [s] requested for PLIST_VARS, but only
> [au] is allowed.
>
> options.mk:9:PLIST_VARS=              dccm
>
> I'm confused.

WARN: options.mk:9: Permission [s] requested for PLIST_VARS, but only
[au] is allowed.

        The available permissions are:
                a       append something using +=
                d       set a default value using ?=
                s       set a variable using :=, =, !=
                p       use a variable during preprocessing
                u       use a variable at runtime

        A "?" means that it is not yet clear which permissions are
        allowed
        and which aren't.

It means you should only append to the variable, not set it outright.

>       > WARN: PLIST:2: Manual page missing for bin/cdcc.
>       > WARN: PLIST:3: Manual page missing for bin/dccproc.
>
> Not true.
>
> PLIST:bin/cdcc
> PLIST:bin/dccproc
> PLIST:(...)
> PLIST:man/man8/cdcc.8
> PLIST:man/man8/dccproc.8
> PLIST:(...)

It probably checks for cdcc.1, because it's in bin/ and not in sbin/
where it would be .8. Just a guess.

Cheers,
 Thomas