Re: libnbcompat

On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 09:57:51PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> > Are you sure you want to pass it on the command line and not via
> > MAKE_ENV? That way the Makefile cannot alter it.
>
> Do you suggest
>          cd ${WRKSRC} && env ${MAKE_ENV} LDADD=${LIBS:Q} \

No, just MAKE_ENV+=LDADD=${LIBS:Q}.

> In my case project's Makefile doesn't set LDADD locally.
> So, both variants are the same.
> But in general case, I'm not sure about "system *.mk makefiles"?

A specific Makefile can add to LDADD to get specific libraries in, as
well as the user who can request it via mk.conf.

> By the way, where these "system makefiles" are documented?

src/share/mk/README on any BSD.

> I mean not details, but design principles, basic ideas etc.
> How they differ from system to system
> (e.g. NetBSD vs. FreeBSD vs. Interix)?

We ship an identical set with bmake, which is based on older NetBSD
sources.

> Are they specific to BSD make only?

Yes.

> How to use them in a portable way, or they are non-portable
> at all because of their nature and they are always specific
> to a particular system.

A certain subset of the functionality is portable to all pmake derived
vesions of make.

Joerg