Re: firefox-esr: 115 -> 128 ?

On Wed, 18 Sep 2024 at 08:53:20 +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I see that www/firefox-esr still points to firefox115.  But the latest
>ESR release ist 128 and we have a package for that already.
>
>Any reasons not to switch to that?
> Thomas

I'll suggest a couple of reasons to move to 128 as our firefox-esr.

Officially, Mozilla only supports EOLed Windows and macOS releases with
115 ESR from .16 onward. While that doesn't mean it can't be used, with
even Linux dropped from consideration, it hardly seems the best choice
for many purposes. Probably not what we should "recommend" by default
with a wrapping package, IMO.

pkgsrc diverges from a lot of packagers in that it tries to carry a
single version of many core dependencies, whereas upstreams building
their own binary packages (or, indeed, some other downstreams) pin
specific versions of dependencies. We've recently gone through the
issue of both LLVM 18 and Rust 1.79 being too new for some Mozilla ESR
software. This gap will only increase over time with 115, with more
maintenance burden.

Regards,

Dave