does anybody care about hylafax? It is broken.

I care only a little.  If theoretically I had to send a fax, then I
could find an old fax modem in my junkpile, wire up a phone jack and
plug it in, find a serial cable, find a USB-serial adaptor, build
hylafax, configure it, and then figure out how to send a fax.

A recent change to libtiff withdrew a bunch of utilities that the tiff
people think are unmaintainable, but hylafax uses them (e.g. tiff2ps).
Thus with up-to-date tiff, hylafax won't build.

hylafax has two upstreams, one last updated in 2018-09 and one in
2023-01.  Both are (eventually) derivatives of the original.  We're
talking 90s here at least.  Neither copes with new-tiff yet.

comms/hylafax is on the 2018 upstream.  I see that as a bug.  The future
of a fix is unclear but it's mostly clear it won't happen in the
upstream last updated in 2018.

This is just a FYI and hints in case anyone cares.   This is so low on
my list of worries that I am unlikely to get to it.
Feel free to ask me questions here or offlist if you are trying to work
on this.