Re: List of deletion candidates

On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 at 17:32, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> pin <voidpin%protonmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> >> I wonder if voidpin@ believes that it is highly likely that there are zero users.
> > Yes, this is one of the reasons. The other one being, this is Rust and two years is a long time.
> > They will start breaking at some point but, we can wait for that.
>
> I don't object to removal proposals that come from a genuine belief that
> there are likely zero users.  I generally object to proposals that don't
> articulate that because there is a lot of "(I find X displeasing|I don't
> think anybody should use X); let's delete it".   E.g. qt4, which went
> spectactuarly badly.

This, I believe, has been discussed before - how useful for the pkgsrc
developers and users is having there packages that can be installed
with a simple 'cargo install blah-blah' or pip3 or pnpm - if there are
no patches required? If we want it to be that lean, mean
package-building machine, wouldn't it be better to avoid adding such
packages altogether? (I am talking about leaf packages of course).
There were these two great quotes, rather applicable here"

"You know we are on a wrong track altogether. We must not think of the
things we could do with, but only of the things that we can't do
without."

“La perfection est atteinte, non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à
ajouter, mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer.”

Mind you, there are packages not updated for years, now still useful as ever...

----