Re: Removal of devel/got, replaced by devel/got-portable

Paolo Vincenzo Olivo <vins%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On 24/01/28 02:29PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>>   what is upstream's preferred name?
>
> Upstream either refers to it as "the portable version of Game of
> Trees" or as "got-portable" [1]. This is not consistent with the usual
> habit of OpenBSD devs to name the portable release of an utility "foo"
> as "<open>foo".  OpenBSD ports have GoT in their repo as devel/got and
> as a consequence all other distributions have named the package simply
> "got" [2]. In my opinion, to avoid confusion, it would be better to
> conform to the choice of other software distributions and name the
> package devel/got.

That makes a lot of sense.

>>   what is the % of users who have one vs the other (of the set that have
>>   both)
>
> I know of a handful of users having devel/got-portable installed on
> their system. Some asked me about the difference between got and
> got-portable, and the only real difference for NetBSD users is that
> devel/got is stuck at version 0.48, while upstream GoT currently reached
> 0.95 (devel/got-portable is up to date).

Sounds like set set that has either is very small, so steering to
eventual cleanliness seems the higher value.  So I land with bsiegert at
devel/got, which is what I think you want, so that's 3 to 0 :-).  (speaking
as just a pkgsrc member)