Re: Adding native audio support to ports

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024, nia wrote:
The way I have done this in the past has been to write code
simply for NetBSD, then, I check what things I am using are
NetBSD only.

Usually it is very easy to adapt the code to work on both with
#ifdefs, since the NetBSD-specific stuff is mostly optimizations
(AUDIO_GETBUFINFO vs. AUDIO_GETINFO) or clarifications of the
original API (AUDIO_ENCODING_SLINEAR_LE vs. AUDIO_ENCODING_LINEAR).

But if other platforms are not going to use it, isn't better to
just follow the netbsd API and make clear that we are addding native
audio support for netbsd? Especially for software that supports
OSS already?.

I'm working on pcaudiolib, which is used by espeak-ng. I haven't
fixed a small delay in flushing the deice that I'm experimenting
with the espeak server of emacspeak. I tested with yasr, is not
emacspeak fault.  In fact emacspeak is working ok using eflite.
At least I fixed a silly bug that was preventing the closing of the
device, so no more choires...

I'm thinking of changing all references to "sun" to "netbsd", and
making clear in the code that it's adding support for netbsd (just
for netbsd). I'm going to do more work with audio and I'd appreciate
some advice.

https://github.com/espeak-ng/pcaudiolib/pull/27

adr