Re: Question about an rc.d script in a package

"Ivan \"Rambius\" Ivanov" <rambiusparkisanius%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Hello Greg,
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 2:50 AM Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Welcome and please feel free to ask for an account on pkgsrc-wip.   It
>> is a shared place to do what you are doing, and easier for people to
>> just look there vs checking out a separate repo.
>
> I stumbled upon pkgsrc-wip but I was unsure if my work fits there. I
> treat ncatchat as an educational project, but if you think it is a
> good example I can move it there.

You might have a point.  wip was originally intended for packages that
would eventually make their way to pkgsrc proper, and has grown in the
eyes of at least me to be ok for packages that have issues that prevent
them from moving but are still useful for others.

If what you are doing is an exercise to learn and genuinely don't think
that anybody else would want to run the code, then it probably makes
sense to leave it as it is.  But I often find myself learning while
trying to make something useful, so they certainly aren't mutually
exclusive.