Re: wip/oksh committer request

Kevin Bloom <kevin.bloom%posteo.net@localhost> writes:

> Hi Greg,
>
> I've added a COMMIT_MSG file. I just sifted commits to find what was
> added. It appears that there used to be a changelog somewhere but I
> wasn't able to find it. I'm not sure if you'd like to wait to commit
> it until we get an official NEWS file or not.

No, I don't think waiting for official NEWS is reasonable.  That would
be like delaying until we get a Teletype Model 19 (waiting for Baudot)!
What you extracted is close to what NEWS should have been, and we don't
need perfect - the idea is that someone updating from pkgsrc can scan
"cvs log" and know if there is anything changing that will cause them
trouble, that they need to adapt to, or that is new and spiffy they can
use.

> That being said, how do we handle extremely large changelogs. For
> example, there is a minetest update that I'll likely be working on
> soonish and it has a very long changelog and lacks a NEWS file.

The concept is that the commit message contain "what upstream *should
have put* in NEWS".   Changelog is a detailed list of all changes, and
most of these are not NEWS-worthy.

> Changelog is here:
> https://dev.minetest.net/Changelog#5.7.0_.E2.86.92_5.8.0

That's not really that huge; it's only two screens on my browser.  I
would paste it into a file and then start trimming, deleting anything
that says android (since pkgsrc doesn't build for android), and anything
that says or means bugfix or minor improvement, unless you (in reading
time, not with work) get the idea that the bug was so terrible it made
the program unusable.

I'm not claiming what I just did was the right answer or that something
different is wrong or worse, as I don't know this code at all, but I
just took what is in Changelog and pruned things that don't really seem
important to know about.   But this is an example of what I think is
good to include vs delete.

They did do a good job at keeping "breaking changes" (the first section)
in focus.

Deprecations and compatibility notes

    Minetest Game is no longer the default game and will no longer be shipped by Minetest. If you want it back, install it by using the “Content” tab
    Compiling: C++17 support is now required
    Node definition field air_equivalent is now documented—as deprecated.

Client / Audiovisuals

    Main menu: Redesign and unify settings interface (rubenwardy, grorp, icon by Zughy)
    Inventory mouse shortcut improvements (OgelGames)
        Holding down Sneak+click while moving the mouse over item slots now continously moves items to other inventory (if available)
        Press Sneak+click on the crafting output slot to craft and move result to inventory
            Left mouse button: Craft as many as possible
            Mouse wheel: Craft 10 times
            Right mouse button: Craft once
        Drag an item stack on the crafting grid to split stacks evenly
        Hold down Left mouse button while holding an item stack and move the cursor over the slots to pick up items of the same type
    X11 (Linux): Add primary selection (copy & paste via select &    middleclick) support (DS)

World / Server / Environment

    Major speedup for crafting shapeless craft recipes (Hocroft-Karp algorithm) (DS)

Script API / Modding

    Add vector.in_area() utility function (AFCMS)
    Add min/max protocol version to minetest.get_version() (BuckarooBanzay)
    Add node group disable_descend to disable actively descending down climbable nodes and nodes with liquid move physics (Wuzzy)
    Add VoxelArea::intersect() (sfan5)
    New player physics overrides for climb speed, sneak speed, acceleration, liquid fluidity and liquid sink speed (#11465) (Wuzzy)
    Allow to set custom third person front view camera offset (grorp)
    Add start_time to sound parameter tables (part of #12764) (DS)

Misc / Maintenance

    Opt-out option for Doxygen generation on build (nerzhul)