Re: Committer Request for wip/herbe

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Well that'a a bug then!

Couldn't agree more. Another program I really like, misc/pick, does a
similar thing in the latest version 4.0.0 - the author decided man
isn't cool anymore or something. Also, removed the --version flag,
which is odd to me. I wonder if there is a new trend to void man
pages?

> To be pedantic, file a bug upstream that there is no man page, and put a
> note in the Makefile with the URL
>
> # herbe does not have a man page
> # https://whatever

Got it.

> You never know.  I have a filed a lot of upstream reports when doing
> pkgsrc things and sometimes they get acted on and fixed, and somtimes
> not.  But the fraction that have been treated reasoanbly is high enough
> that I find it worthwhile.

Good idea, it appears someone else wanted a man page as well:
https://github.com/dudik/herbe/issues/44

> But you mention a README.  If upstream has README that explains things,
> it should be installed in share/doc/herbe/README.  See 21.6.2 in the
> guide.   If that's sufficient, a missing man page is less serious, but
> it is the unix norm to have a man page.

Okay, I'll do this. The README is basically the only documentation. Is
it okay if it's a markdown README?