Re: Pkgin or pkg_install bug resulting in broken pkgsrc installation

* On 2023-10-16 at 09:01 BST, Benny Siegert wrote:

If this can be reproduced with pkgin 23.8.1 and against a consistent package repository then I'd certainly be interested in a bug report for it.

And I think I found what the issue is.

Restored from backup. As you described, I upgraded pkgin and pkg_install first, with „pkg_add -U“. Now „pkgin upgrade“ shows this conflict:

py311-cairo-1.24.0 (to be installed) conflicts with installed package py310-cairo-1.23.0nb1.

The older pkgin did not warn about this (or at least I don’t remember seeing this warning), so I assume that’s what broke during the upgrade. For now, I manually removed py310-cairo and hope for the best.

Ok, yeh, it's likely the older pkgin didn't calculate dependencies correctly. The CONFLICT is not ideal, especially having to make the user manually work around it, but I don't know if it's possible to use SUPERSEDES in this situation or even avoid the CONFLICT by using versioning.

Cheers,

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com