Re: gcc12 incompatible with ctfconvert?

* On 2023-10-04 at 07:45 BST, Martin Husemann wrote:

I am just scared by the other parts that Jonathan described, which sounded
a bit like this might break debugging pkgs on NetBSD completely.

Well, the pkgsrc default is to strip binaries, so I'm not sure it could be broken much more ;-)

But no, CTF is opt-in, so this would simply give users a choice to enable it and try it out. I'm guessing the CTF tools in NetBSD haven't been updated in a while if you're seeing crashes etc?

The CTF stuff on illumos works fantastically. I get debuggable binaries without the bloat of DWARF, so I can enable it by default in my binary package sets.

The one thing I've had to work around recently is that GNU strip removes information that DTrace requires for function argument types, and so I've switched to the native illumos strip instead so that I can do lovely 'print(*args[0])' stuff and have complete struct information etc.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com