Re: x11/gtk4 fails to biuld - PLIST error?

On Mon, 24 Jul 2023, Greg Troxel wrote:

Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost> writes:

Perhaps you have disabled the cups option and in options.mk

	.else
	PLIST.lpr=              yes
	MESON_ARGS+=            -Dprint-cups=disabled
	.endif

the PLIST.lpr=yes is wrong?

Yes, indeed, I do have cups disabled in my /etc/mk.conf  (I fought
getting cups to work many years ago, and then just gave up.  I use my
<blasphemy>windoze</balsphemy> laptop as a print controller when
needed.)

By all means if you can fix code in an option, great.  But a while ago
cups was split into the library and the command-line programs, so that
having libcups is not so problematic, unless it's too much bloat or too
hated.  But it no longer means "install some program, get a new lpr".
So you may not want as hard to disable it.

Perhaps "fought" is too gentle a word for what I went through, months
of having to read code (as substitution for documentation) and having
to keep rebuilding "things that want to print", with hours or days of
experimentation sandwiched in the middle.  Perhaps "too hated" fits
my situation better.

In any case, gtk4 should be creating the lpr backend if it is going
to attempt to install it.

I'm really hoping someone can fix this cuz I really don't want to
start dealing with cups again. Without a fix, I can simply remove exactly one package from my local installs - transmission-gtk is the only package that needs gtk4 (and gtkmm4), and living without
transmission-gtk is signigificantly preferred over re-introducing
cup.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:    |
| (Retired)          | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul%whooppee.com@localhost    |
| Software Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%netbsd.org@localhost  |
| & Network Engineer |                          | pgoyette99%gmail.com@localhost |