Re: removing net/samba?

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 08:11:42AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I suspect we'll end up with "no users in pkgsrc", and 8 years of no
> upstream maintenance certainly seems over the bar for no expectation of
> use.  But the Windows world is funny so we'll see if anybody speaks up.
> (I certainly don't use it.)

Not sure this is worth much, besides anectodal value:

I used to have it running on a tiny machine (single core armv5, 512 MB
RAM) acting as an (internal only) file server (for niche purposes,
access speed did not matter). The daemon processes in samba4 are a lot
more heavyweight (memory + cpu wise) and this tiny box had issues
running samba 4 (which I use on all "real" file servers when they
are not NFS-only).

But that tiny hardware (unfortunately) has died and the replacement
is a full grown 8GB aarch64 system and of course has no problem running
samba 4.

Martin