Re: django < 3.2 EOL - removing some old versions?

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> We have packages for
>
> - py-django14 (1.4.x, very old LTS version, supports Python 2, support ended 2013)
> - py-django (1.11.29, old LTS version, supports Python 2, support ended 2020)
> - py-django2 (2.2.28, old LTS version, Python 3 only, support ended 2022)
> - py-django3 3.2.19 (Python 3, LTS version, still supported)
>
> I think removal of py-django14 and py-django2 shouldn't be an issue
> because users should have switched to 1.11.x and 3.2.x respectively
> already.

I am unclear on whether one ends up using a bunch of other packages that
need to have been ported to new django, or if django mechanisms/culture
avoids that.   Can people who use django from pkgsrc speak up and
explain how that works and how easy/hard it is to adjust to newer
versions?

(find-depends seems to have vanished?)

It looks like the dependency patterns in pkgsrc are all ">=".  Is it
a valid conclusion that trouble from using 4 would be minimal?

> Is anyone still using py-django 1.11?

I guess that's also "is anyone using py-django with python 2.7"?  I
would guess the answer is no.

> Btw, a package for the current LTS release, 4.2.3, would be nice to have :)

Adam suggested just having one version.   If there isn't a difficult
dependency chain and it's easy for people to move, then that seems ok.

Is that really ok for people using py-django3, to have to move (on
pkgsrc's schedule) to 4?

As always, though, I don't want us to go from versioned names to one
name unless we feel that it is very likely that we can stay with just
one for the next 3-5 years.