Re: GNU configure magic prepending instead of replacing --mandir?

On 6/29/23 15:13, Greg Troxel wrote:
My best guess is that the plan is that arguments automatically specified
would not also be specified manually.

Sounds good, but is there a comprehensive list of "arguments automatically specified"? And should a package not be able to override that when it needs to, without having to grovel through the mk file tree?

I guess warning about configure options set in a package Makefile that get overridden unconditionally by pkgsrc mechanics could be a pkglint feature.

Setting GNU_CONFIGURE_MANDIR does seem like the right way.  With that,
there's no reason to want to add another --mandir.

Yep.

Passing $prefix/man seems very straightforward.  I don't understand the
problem you had.  It sounds like the package might be buggy, in which
case the usual approach is to patch it, or at least report this
upstream.

There were two: The package installing man pages in $PREFIX/$mandir directly, not the man1 subdir (that could be patched). And the Solarish build picking up an incorrect value for $mandir, and running with that, causing a PLIST issue.

Cheerio,
Hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344