pkgsrc, Linux, unprivileged installation

My Debian Bullseye installation has gone into "oldstable" mode and I
am not happy with the way Debian is going forward (this has been a
common moan for most of us Debianistas, at the end we keep on
upgrading...)

I had mixed fortunes in the past using pkgsrc as an additional source on Debian.

My question is: if I perform an unprivileged install and, say, a
package has to perform an installation on directories that require
root (for example /etc), is there a mechanism in place that prevents
the package from being installed and/or complains loudly "DO NOT DO
THAT"!

I mean before the "install" phase.

Thanks

--