Re: Introduction & Bootstrap on linux fails (cyclic dependency)

On 5/28/22 19:36, Marcel Plch wrote:
Hello,

this e-mail is my introduction to local BSD community as well as a
possible bug report. :)

I am a BSD newb (I tried running OpenBSD as a daily driver for a month or
two) and I came across NetBSD. I like the cleanliness of the BSD systems
and I'd like to utilize these systems more.

I really like the idea of a portable package manager, as I am trying to
make my environment OS-agnostic. I believe this might even help me (and
possibly more users if my work bears any fruit) hop on board NetBSD OS.

However, when I went ahead and tried to bootstrap the pkgsrc on my system,
the build got stuck on a cyclic dependence:

     ===> running: (cd /home/dormouse/NetBSD/pkgsrc/pkgtools/cwrappers &&
     /home/dormouse/NetBSD/pkgsrc/bootstrap/work/bin/bmake  MAKE_JOBS=1
     PKG_COMPRESSION=none PKGSRC_KEEP_BIN_PKGS=no
     MAKECONF=/home/dormouse/NetBSD/pkgsrc/bootstrap/work/mk.conf install)
     ===> Installing dependencies for cwrappers-20220403
     => Tool dependency coreutils>=5.2.1: NOT found
     => Verifying reinstall for ../../sysutils/coreutils
     => Bootstrap dependency digest>=20211023: NOT found
     => Verifying reinstall for ../../pkgtools/digest
     ===> Installing dependencies for digest-20220214
     => Tool dependency cwrappers>=20150314: NOT found
     => Verifying reinstall for ../../pkgtools/cwrappers
     ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
     ERROR: Circular dependency detected
     *** Error code 1

     Stop.
     bmake[3]: stopped in /home/dormouse/NetBSD/pkgsrc/pkgtools/cwrappers
     *** Error code 1

     Stop.
     bmake[2]: stopped in /home/dormouse/NetBSD/pkgsrc/pkgtools/digest
     *** Error code 1

     Stop.
     bmake[1]: stopped in /home/dormouse/NetBSD/pkgsrc/sysutils/coreutils
     *** Error code 1

     Stop.
     bmake: stopped in /home/dormouse/NetBSD/pkgsrc/pkgtools/cwrappers
     ===> exited with status 1
     aborted.
     [dormouse@plch bootstrap]$

I tried running the specific components manually with the generated bmake,
but it lead to a further chain of very similar error reports.

Would anyone have any directions on what steps I can take to fix this
issue?

     $ gcc --version
     gcc (GCC) 12.1.0
     This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
     is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
     PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Thank you very much in advance, I believe I am going to learn many useful
things from this community in the near future. :)
--
# Marcel Plch

## What is that .asc attachment on my e-mails?

* https://gnupg.org/

## Contact:

* Mastodon: @dormouse%mas.to@localhost
* LinkedIn: Marcel Plch
* Twitter/Github: Dormouse759
* Matrix: @dormouse:matrix.org

Try auto-pkgsrc-setup: http://netbsd.org/~bacon/

It will guide you around common pitfalls, offer some common
configuration options, and generate a corresponding mk.conf.