Re: Changes for after the freeze

nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 09:19:47AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I went to mariadb.org and tried to figure this out, but it was a twisty
>> maze of pages none of which set expectations for the date until when a
>> branch would be maintained.
>
> See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB#Versioning

Wow, that is a real clue about something about MariaDB that wikipedia is
how you understand this.....

It seems like in theory one can just shutdown, change the version, and
start, and this is likely to be ok.  But that all feels "probably" "most
likely", so it doesn't seem prudent to depend on it.

> 10.6 will be supported for 5 years (until 2026), 10.8 will be supported
> for 2 years (until 2023).

I would say then that the default should be 10.6, and until the world
changes again we should expect it to stay that way until the next
release with a 5-year support plan has happened, and everything thinks
it is stable and 100% ok.

As a side comment, lIt seems odd to me that there are three new branches
released in 12 months since 10.6 - not sure what to make of that.

I would guess that people woud prefer to add in mysql versions as they
are released, and remove them from pkgsrc after they hit EOL.  So people
who choose more recent than 10.6 will have to deal with upgrades, but
people who don't make that explicit choice won't have to.

I think this is where you are headed with your question/approach.

Anybody disagree?