Re: 'gegl' segfault breaks "gimp" build

Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 19:21:09 -0500 (CDT)
> "John D. Baker" <jdbaker%consolidated.net@localhost> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2022, John D. Baker wrote:
>>
>> > Same failure on netbsd-9/i386:
>>
>> I see the same failure on amd64/9.99.96 w/pkgsrc-2022Q1:
>
> There are no crashes on amd64 expressed in bulk builds though,
> so I'm relucant to apply the same fix everywhere. Apparently
> it works for some (most?) people.
>
> Some x86 instructions can raise a general protection fault if SIMD
> operations are not performed on a 128-bit aligned boundary. Sometimes
> compiling code with -mstackrealign in CFLAGS can help with this. We
> have a few packages that do such.

I built gegl and gimp on March 25th and it was ok.  I'll get up to date
and see.

Obviously things should build but I am uncomfortable disabling something
that ought to work.

At a minimum I think any disabling needs a comment and a link to an
upstream bug tracker entry; this is really like a source patch.

It would be really interesting to know if -mstackrealign helps John's
build.