Re: Joyent macOS/arm64 binary repo not being updated?

* On 2022-02-23 at 17:08 GMT, J. Lewis Muir wrote:

On 01/28, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
* On 2022-01-28 at 17:20 GMT, J. Lewis Muir wrote:

> It seems to me that the Joyent macOS/arm64 binary repo
>
>  https://pkgsrc.joyent.com/packages/Darwin/11.0/arm64/All/
>
> is not being updated.  Anyone know what's up?

People keep breaking the pkgsrc tree.  The last 6 build attempts have all
failed, most due to python pbulk breakage, some due to missing packages.

It's currently building again, I'm hopeful I might get a successful build
out of it!

Hi, Jonathan!

Thanks for the update.  Sorry to hear about the breakage.  I guess
you didn't get a successful build out of it after all since the repo
still appears to not have been updated. :-(  It's now over two months
old.  Maybe it would be better to build the most recent stable quarterly
branch instead of current?  (Or in addition to current?)

It's important to note that the quarterly releases are not "stable", there should be no distinction in quality between a quarterly release and whatever is in trunk at any point in time.

I'd argue the opposite is true in reality. For whatever reason we seem to get a huge number of breaking changes introduced right before a branch as a subset of developers scramble to introduce whatever latest stuff they want in the branch, and only the NetBSD bulk build reports are considered when deciding on the quality of the branch unfortunately.

The last successful build was prior to the 2021Q4 branch being frozen, so you wouldn't get any builds out of that either, and even if you did you'd be stuck with exactly the same set of packages that were produced from the last successful trunk build.

I was out on vacation last week and am still catching up from that, but will take another look at what's breaking the macOS builds soon. I pushed a new build through on Monday anyway to see if someone else had resolved the problems in the meantime.

Cheers,