when dependencies are missing (or already present)

Although I have been using pkgsrc for 20 or more years, I still
haven't discovered a bullet-proof way of using it.  My current efforts
illustrate problems I encounter repeatedly.  I'm currentlt trying to
install the latest version of net/tigervnc on a newly-upgraded
NetBSD-9.2 box.

Using pkg_add -u -u tigervnc with PKG_PATH set results in:

pkg_add: no pkg found for 'xkeyboard-config-[0-9]*', sorry.
pkg_add: Can't install dependency xkeyboard-config-[0-9]*
pkg_add: Expected dependency xkeyboard-config-[0-9]* still missing
pkg_add: 1 package addition failed

Building from source via pkgsrc results in:

pkg_add: A different version of digest-20211023 is already installed:
digest-20121220
pkg_add: 1 package addition failed
*** Error code 1

Downloading tigervnc-1.12.0.1.20.13nb2.tgz and checking for
dependencies with ldd results in the following failures:

        -lp11-kit.0 => not found
        -lffi.8 => not found
        -lhogweed.6 => not found
        -lnettle.8 => not found

and I haven't a clue where to find them.

Doing pkg_add on this tgz file fails in the same way as using
PKG_PATH, but for all I know that's just the first in a sequence of
missing dependencies.

I have been advised to use pkgin rather than pkg_add, but that won't
download or build either.  pkg_add -u -u pkgin results in:

pkg_add: Conflicting PLIST with pkg_install-20211115:
man/man1/pkg_add.1
pkg_add: Can't install dependency pkg_install>=20200701
pkg_add: Expected dependency pkg_install>=20200701 still missing
pkg_add: 1 package addition failed

This is all using 2021Q4 and a newly-downloaded pkgsrc.

I know Dependency Hell is the price of saving space with shared
libraries, but am I missing something that ought to be blindingly
obvious to save all the frustration ansd wasted time?

--
Steve Blinkhorn <steve%prd.co.uk@localhost>