Re: curl 7.81 - configure failure on macOS

Michael-John Turner <mj%mjturner.net@localhost> writes:

> I'm in the process of a pkg_rr update to pkgsrc HEAD on macOS 10.15 and
> experiencing a configure failure with curl 7.81:
>
> ---
> dyld: Symbol not found: _iconv
>   Referenced from: /usr/lib/libarchive.2.dylib
>   Expected in: /opt/pkg/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
>  in /usr/lib/libarchive.2.dylib
> ---
>
> Full config.log: http://dl.rsx11.net/misc/curl-7.81-config.log
>
> I see that MacPorts had the same issue[1], caused by a recent commit
> to curl. The issue references a curl patch that seems to fix the issue
> for others but my pkgsrc build still fails with the same error even
> after applying the patch.
>
> Note that the patch won't apply cleanly to 7.81 as it has a dependency
> on an earlier patch that's not in 7.81 (a quick and dirty approach
> would be to use m4/curl-functions.m4 from the master branch).
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> [1] https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/8229

Are you saying that you have added the reverting of setting
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in curl's configure.ac, and vertified that the package
is regenerating configure, or applied it to configure, or something
else?

With autoconf, generally, "make dist" will take the configure generated
from configure.ac and include that in the tarball, and then autoconf
won't run when users build it.  So in pkgsrc we either

  patch configure directly

or

  patch configure.ac and arranage to rerun autoconf