Re: Recent lang/python* and textproc/py-cElementTree failure

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 19:47:43 +0100
Thomas Klausner <wiz%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 07:39:48PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 03:10:26AM +0900, Ryo ONODERA wrote:
> > > In a very recent pkgsrc tree, I have gotten the following error
> > > in the install stage. I am using lang/python39-3.9.9nb2.
> > >
> > > textproc/py-cElementTree wants to install egg files, however
> > > it has bogus UNKNOWN name, version number and so on..
> >
> > I can't reproduce this in an empty sandbox.
> > I see the problem when I do 'pkg_add py39-setuptools'.
> >
> > So a workaround is to pkg_delete py39-setuptools.
> >
> > This module has its own files/setup.py. I guess this needs to be
> > fixed, but I don't know how yet.
>
> The same issue appears also with py-curses and py-expat.
>
> I still think we should stop splitting up python just because of the
> expat and curses dependencies.
>
> I think one possible fix is to convert our manual setup.py files for
> these modules to setuptools, but I'm not motivated to do this.

Can we just make these packages BUILD_DEPEND on setuptools and
update the PLISTs match what happens when setuptools is
installed? Idunno I'm not a python expert but that seems reasonably
straight-forward to me. Does the UNKNOWN file stuff cause any
issues?