Re: macOS Monterey vs pkg_install (+ patch review)

* On 2021-11-01 at 20:03 GMT, Jonathan Perkin wrote:

For anyone using my binary package sets, and anyone using their own pkgsrc installs on macOS Monterey, note that there is an issue when upgrading pkg_install where it will intermittently fail and result in a broken installation.

I would strongly recommend avoiding upgrading to this OS, at least if pkgsrc is important to you, until we can figure out what the latest Apple breakage du jour is (looks highly likely to be VM related again).

I've now applied a patch to my macOS builds to work around this vfork() issue, and updated pkg_install packages are now available.

Unfortunately this is a chicken-and-egg scenario, and until pkg_install is upgraded you may hit the bug. The recommended upgrade path is:

  $ pkgin -d upgrade
  $ pkg_add -U /var/db/pkgin/cache/pkg_install-20211021.tgz

If this part fails you'll need to reinstall pkg_install by hand:

  $ cd $(mktemp -d)
  $ tar zxf /var/db/pkgin/cache/pkg_install-20211021.tgz
  $ tar zxf pkg_install-20211021.tmp.tgz
  $ ./sbin/pkg_add -U /var/db/pkgin/cache/pkg_install-20211021.tgz

Once pkg_install is upgraded, you can finally issue:

  $ pkgin upgrade

Obviously if you hit any issues whatsoever please let me know ASAP.

The patch I've applied to my macOS branch is here:

  https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/commit/9935bf7215ccee55b1ef3dbfa8415732f53146df

which has a couple of updates compared to the original one I posted, and makes it a little easier to switch other platforms over to posix_spawn() should we want to do that (I already tested it on SmartOS successfully).

Please review and I'll get this in soon.

Thanks,